It is essential to know your market and position yourself as an expert within it. Of course, you need to really BE an expert within it! Nailing your niche will differentiate you from your competition and give you a promotional edge.
Find out what your market wants, and needs, and project the features and benefits of your expertise and business in a consistent way through all forms of comunication and visibility. Our personal brands are always entwined with our professional brands.
Aim to raise the bar on your brand and business in the new year and don't leave your reputation to chance. If you have a goal to use the media to become more well known as an expert, to build your business, then nailing your niche is essential before you embark on a promotional campaign and talking to the press. The efficacy of your promotional and visibility plans will require much more than a 'pr hook'. Your credibility and authenticity are important, as is your back story and current and past reputation.
Here are some useful tips:
- keep ahead on industry news in your sector by subscribing to your specialist press, favouriting specialist websites, subcribing to newsletters and RSS feeds and follow industry thought leaders and key press via Twitter.
- connect, engage, contribute and share your views.. BE SEEN and HEARD (appropriately).
- attend relevant events and shows - look for opportunities for visibility within them and pitch yourself to the organisers for the next event.
- ensure your brand oozes the expert factor from every facet. Decide what could do with 'perfecting and polishing' and fnd the right experts to help you.
- run a google search on your name from time to time to find out what others' say about you. The first page of search results against your name can be more important than your actual wesbite.
- make sure your online brand is current, relevant, consistent and appropriate and commensurate with the professional expert positioning you strive for.
- work on USING your social media networks, not just expanding them. Really be IN your network and support others. It isn't just be a numbers game.
- add your personal hallmark and individuality to everything you do and be consistent and considerate.
- when your niche is well defined, clearly communicated and consistently executed, it's much easier for other people to recommend you and work with you.
- ensure your online bios and profile pages are always accurate and up to date.
- be clear on what you stand for. Know your values, drivers and motivation as well as your strengths and limitations.